Welcome to the Virtual Altoona Area Public Library. Here you will find our ebook selection and our useful databases. Our virtual library is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week for your convenience. Any time you need to download an e-book or e-audiobook, search for jobs, write a resume, find out about your family history, search for Altoona Mirror obituaries, or look up magazine articles for a research project, the virtual library is here for you.
- U.S. Federal Censuses feature the original images of every extant federal census in the United States, from 1790 through 1930, with name indexes for many decades. In total the collection covers more than 140 million names.
- Genealogy and local history books deliver more than 7 million digitized page images from over 28,000 family histories, local histories, and other books. Titles have been digitized from our own renowned microform collections, as well from the American Antiquarian Society via an exclusive partnership.
- Periodical Source Index (PERSI), published by the Allen County Public Library, is recognized as the most comprehensive index genealogy and local history periodicals. It contains more than 2 million records covering titles published around the world since 1800.
- Revolutionary War records contains original images from pension and bounty land warrant application files help to identify more than 80,000 American Army, Navy, and Marine officers and enlisted men from the Revolutionary War era.
- Freedman's Bank Records, with more than 480,000 names of bank applicants, their dependents, and heirs from 1865–1874, offers valuable data that can provide important clues to tracing African American ancestors prior to and immediately after the Civil War.
- LexisNexis U.S. Serial Set records the memorials, petitions, private relief actions made to the U.S. Congress back to 1789, with a total of more than 480,000 pages of information.
Salem Health brings online access to Salem Press' award-winning health reference works. This reference set includes Salem Press' best-selling Magill's Medical Guide. You now have free online access to the Medical Guide’s content. It is an up-to-date and easy-to-use compendium of medical information. It provides general readers with an authoritative reference source that helps bridge the gap between medical encyclopedias for professionals and popular self-help guides. You may access the Salem Health database from within the Library or from your home with a library card.
Birth Notices Database
Birth notices from the Altoona Mirror that have been added may be searched by the child's last name, Mother's maiden or married name, Father's last name or the date of birth. Unlike the Obituary index which is only an index, complete information is contained in a Birth Index entry. Access the Birth notices by visiting http://www.blaircountylibraries.org/births/.
Obituary Index Database
Our Obituary Index lists the dates that local obituaries appeared in the Altoona Mirror. It is searchable by last name or maiden name. It currently covers the period from 1929 to the present. Once an obituary date is located a patron can visit the library and print it from the library's microfilm or patrons who cannot visit the library may order prints from the library to be mailed to the patron for a nominal fee. Access the Obituary Index by visiting http://www.blaircountylibraries.org/obit/.
Locate the music score or lyrics of a song in our book collection by searching song title, first line, composer, category, year, etc. Comments/Associations accompany many listings. Search more than one field if necessary (some fields are blank). At 25,000 listings, database is growing quickly. Access the Music scores by visiting http://www.blaircountylibraries.org/music/index.htm.