[Previous] [ToC] [Next]



Jacob Earnest, son of Henry and Eve Earnest, born about 1766, died about 1830 at the brick house just above Mt. Dallas;married Susannah Defibaugh, daughter of Casper Defibaugh, who lived below Bedford at  the Fisher farm.
                        1. Eve.             1. William.
                        2. Elizabeth.     2. Edward.
                       3. Sally.           3. Jacob.
             4. Susan.          4.
             5. Katy.           5.
                        6. Rosa.           6. Daniel.

There were six sons and six daughters in this family. Five of the boys died young, as they were all dead before Daniel was born. I have not given all ofthem according to their ages. Daniel was the youngest son and Rosa the youngest daughter, and next to him in age. Eve and Elizabeth I think were the oldest girls.

Daniel Earnest said "their parents had a Bible with family record. Books were very scarce those days. Some one borrowed the Bible and returned it with record lost or torn. "
1. Eve Earnest, married Thomas Nevitt.

      The Nevitt record I have from a grandson, Mr. W. E. Nevitt of Tyrone. Also a letter from his uncle
Jacob Earnest Nevitt of Michigan City, Ind., the only member of the family living.


Graphics (p.42-2)

Descendants of Thomas and Eve Earnest Nevitt:
1. William Nevitt. (died 1909.) Lived  near Swanton, Ohio

       1. George Nevitt.


2. Joseph Nevitt. Married a Miss Rakestraw. Lived at Kankakee, Ill. Had two daughters.

Graphics (p.42-6)

3. John Nevitt. Never married.
4. Jacob Nevitt. Married Sallie Sheely of near Everett, PA.
  Live at Michigan City, Ind.
      1. Cromwell Nevitt. Living at Puget Sound.

       2. Lydia.


Graphics (p.43-1)               Graphics (p.43-2)


Graphics (p.44-1)                                      Graphics (p.44-2)


Graphics (p.45-1)



5. Susan Nevitt. Married first, Philip Weaverling.
        1. Philip.

Married second to Jacob Wagner. She died at Topeka,
Kansas, about 1896.
6. Thomas J. Nevitt. Born Nov. 1, 1832. Died Aug.
29, 1902, at Everett, Pa. Married to Plooney Jane Otis.
       1. John Franklin. Died in 1864.

       2. William E. Nevitt. Married Mary E. Conner.
Lives at Tyrone, Pa.
              1. Guy Oscar Nevitt.

              2. Lillian Mae. Married to John S. Ginter.

                     1. Wendell Maxwell.
       3. Infant daughter died.
7. James M. Nevitt. Born Sept. 4, 1841. Died Sept.
9, 1908 at Rays Hill, Pa. Married Martha Sams.
                     1. Porter G.    3. George W.

                     2. Daniel M.   4. Mary.

                               5. Hayes.

8. Margaret Elizabeth Nevitt. Born Aug. 11, 1842.

Died Dec. 31, 1887 at Everett, Pa., while attending a watch meeting service. Married David Wright.

                     1. Mollie.  3. Sallie.

                     2. Clara.    4. Annie.

                             5. Gertie

Mr. Thomas Nevitt, Sr., was quite a historic character about Everett and Mt. Dallas in the early days.Mr. William Barndollar of Everett said once, "In hisyounger days he was as fine a looking man as youwould see among five hundred. He was at one timeKaty Hartley's coachman and manager."

My stepfather used to tell how he taught his wife


Graphics (p.46-1)


to make corn pone like they made it in the south He said "they didn't know how to make corn bread in the north. "

His son John Nevitt was with a corps of U. S. Government engineers who plotted the state of Nebraska.

When Thomas, Jr., went to Omaha there were only two houses besides the usual mud houses. As the town grew he followed house painting awhile - later engaged in his occupation coach and wagon-making, his brother Jacob joining him about this time.

Joseph Nevitt was a soldier during the war, and James, also, the latter a member of Co. C., 133 Reg. Penna. Vol.

Lake Front, Michigan City, Ind., Sept. 29, 1910.
 My Dear Cousin:

   Your letter reached father the other day* * * *

Pa's father was born in the District of Columbia, in what is now the City of Washington. He was seventy two when he died in 1871. He went to Bedford County, Pa., when a young man. Carried mail on horseback during the War of 1812 and 1813. Carried from Bedford east, but I do not know where to. He married Eve Earnest. She lived near Snake Springs. Her father was a blacksmith and had a shop on the Hartley farm, and when a young man, he used to go into the river some where near the Hartley home, and cut lead out of the bed of the river., and made bullets out of it. William Hartley wanted him to tell where it was but he never did. Your father hunted for the lead vein many times. Father's mother was some forty years old when she died. She was buried


at the old stone church yard in Everett. It was Bloody Run then. They lived at Friends Cove a number of years and father was born there. They also lived at Hartley's. When his mother died they were living on one of the old Tates farms just west of the Everett furnace. Uncle John went west before mother died. He had a claim about forty miles northwest of Omaha. He sold it for five hundred dollars. Father saw him in Omaha just after that. Then he took a boat south and spoke of going to Ohio. That was the last anyone ever heard of him. When your father and pa first went west they thought of going to California but changed their minds when they got to Omaha. Father's grandmother Earnest was born in Germany. Came to this country when five years old. His grandfather and grandmother Nevitt were born and raised in Scotland. Have no pictures of uncle John, Joseph, or aunt Susan.

Father is pretty well considering his age. He was seventy eight last March. He hopes he has been able to give the lady some information. His father never said very much about his people.

              From your uncle and cousin,
                                 Jacob Earnest Nevitt.

                                 Lida Henry Nevitt Cady.

       To Wm. E. Nevitt and wife of Tyrone, Pa.

I find in the record of taxables in 1772 "Casper Defibaugh, living near Bedford, owned 150 acres of land, 15 improved, horses 2, cows 1. " This was not long after he came from Germany, by what Jacob Nevitt says.


Graphics (p.47-3)



2. Elizabeth Earnest-always called Betsy, marriedfirst to a German, Mr. Stuby.
      1. Conrad Stuby, a soldier, 138 Reg. Pa. Vol., married Katy May.

             1. Dan. Live on Pacific Coast.

             2. Mary Ellen, Washington state.

             3. John.

       2. Jacob Stuby, married a Miss College. Lived in Hopewell Twp., Bedford Co., Pa. Children, don't know the names.

       3. Frederick Stuby, married Jane Wertz, daughter of Thomas and Eve Dibert Wertz. See Eve Dibert Wertz line.

             1. Henry Heckerman.    3. Maggie.
             2. Charles.                   4. Minerva.

       4. Mary Stuby, a cripple from spinal trouble.

  Elizabeth's second husband-Mr. Edenbaugh.

       1. Daniel.

3. Sally Earnest, married Steven Clarke of Bedford.

       1. Eliza, married Mr. Reis. Lived in Pittsburg.

       2. Rachael.

       3. Lydia, lived in New Orleans before the war.

         4. Mary, lived with friends in St. Louis.

      All the girls dead.

         5. John, lived with some one near Everett till he was grown. Perhaps living in the west.

4. Susan Earnest, married a Mr.Wickersham of West
Chester. No children living.
5. Katy, died in infancy.

6. Rosa, married Thomas Border of Clear Ridge, moved
to Athens Co., 0.
         1. Abbie. 2. Conrad. 3. Jacob.


Graphics (p.49-1)


Graphics (p.50-1)


12. Daniel, born July 4, 1818, died in Sept. 1901, married first to Eliza Wertz, daughter of Thomas and Eve Dibert Wertz.
      1. William, a soldier in war 138 Reg. Pa. Vol.
Lives in Chicago. Married Kate Suters. She died when some of her children were quite young.

Graphics (p.50-4)




Graphics (p.51-1)                      Graphics (p.51-2)


          1. Harvey, lives at Pearl City, Ill.
          2 Dillie, lives in Freeport, Ill.

          3. Oscar, lives in Pearl City, Ill.

          4. George, soldier in Spanish American war. Dead.

          5. Roll, lives in Pearl City, Ill.

          6. Alge, lives in Pearl City, Ill.

          7. Daisy in Iowa. 

       2. Emily Jane, married Alfred Phillips. Live at Red Cloud, Neb.

          1. Daniel. 2. Edna, student McPherson College, Kan.

Graphics (p.52-3)

3. Rosa, married Richard May. Live in Hayes Centre, Neb.
         1. Flora, married Mr. John Snee, a ranchman.


Graphics (p.53-1)

                                                                                  EARL.                     BLAIR.                                 FLORA BELLE.
                                                                   MRS. ROSA EARNEST MAY.              MINA.                          RICHARD MAY.            


Graphics (p.54-1)




Graphics (p.55-1)



Graphics (p.56-1)

                                                                                  EUGENE NOBLE AND WIFE, BELLE EARNEST NOBLE
                                                                                                                FAYE ADELE.


Graphics (p.57-2)


         2. Blair, married Sophie Fomoff.
               1. Elvina Evaline.
               2. Ada Eleanor.
               3. Irene Rosanna.

         3. Earl, a student at.Ann Arbor, Mich.

         4. Mina, at home.

7. Daniel Earnest, married second time to Eleanor
Miller, widow of Jacob Miller of Buffalo Mills, Pa., and daughter of            Peter and Hannah Arnold.
    1. Hannah Belle Earnest, died in 1894, married Eugene Noble of Maywood, Neb. He was killed in a saw mill in 1902.

         1. Faye Adele. Teaching in Mich.

         2. Iva, living with her cousin Mrs. Flora Snee in Neb.

    2. Susanna Rebecca Earnest, married Nathaniel Replogle. She died in 1887 and he in 1891



Graphics (p.58-1)



Graphics (p.58-3)


        1. Chester Earnest Replogle. Juniata Academy 1910. Teaching in Morrison's Cove.
   3. Sarah Elizabeth Earnest, married D. F. Dibert, Son of Dan. C. Dibert. See Mary Earnest's line.

   4. Peter Franklin Earnest, married Mrs. Verna McDonald of Altoona, Pa. Pa. R. R. Officer, living at Huntingdon.

   5. Daniel Henry Earnest, married Bertha King. Live in Altoona.

        1. Alma.   2. Walter.    3. Elizabeth Eleanor.

   6. Edward Oscar Earnest, married Myrtle Diehl. Live in Eldorado, Pa.

        1. Iva.   2. Paul.


In the little romantic valley of Milligans Cove, my memory loves to linger. Like Acadia, "This is the forest primeval." Here, in the very heart of nature, are the famous white Sulphur Springs - all hallowed ground, "the scenes of my child-hood," where we loved, "the orchard, the meadow, the deep-tangled wild-wood," with its vines, mosses and flowers; the tall pines, the sparkling mountain streams and brooks.

Here, around the old home fireside, we listened to the stories of long ago, told by my stepfather, or his mother, then about one hundred years old. He told us that, once, when he was a boy plowing in a field near Mt. Dallas, a mother bear came by with some cubs. He caught one, took it home to his mother and had it for a pet till it grew up. It became quite saucy,


and very troublesome, and after quite an experience with it, he sold it.

He told us also, stories of the old wagoners hauling great loads from Baltimore and Philadelphia over the Alleghenies to Wheeling and Cincinnati. He was quite young to be on the road, but large and strong. He was called "Will Nycum's big boy." He hauled for Mr. Nycum, who lived at "the foot of Dry Ridge," now the town of Manns Choice. People just called it "the foot," where there were about three houses, and two of these old taverns, where wagoners and other travelers got plenty to drink before they started up this abrupt ascent towards the mountain. Dry Ridge is quite a plateau, being as high at some points as the Allegheny mountains. At the "foot of Dry Ridge," just above where Buffalo Run flows into the Raystown Branch of the Juniata, the hills are almost perpendicular, some places. What was called "the drovers road" afterwards, went up "Harmon's Bottom, winding around the hills.

Often in winter, lots of places on the ridge and mountain were glittering cakes of ice, over which they had to pass with heavy loads. He said the back part of the wagon some times was nearly around to the front. One time on his way to Cincinnati with a six horse team, one of the horses died on the way. He sent word back with a returning wagoner, for some one to meet him with a horse. A man was sent with a horse, but, he was drunk and made him more trouble than help. (I do not know if this was while he was hauling for Wm. Nycum or Hartleys. He wagoned for Hartleys at the age of 16 years, at $10 a month.)

But the story most interesting to us was the thrill-


ing Indian story he told so often, while we listened spellbound -- the capture of his grandmother and her two little boys by the Indians, and the killing and scalping of his grandfather and the narrow escape of the other members of the family.,

Long after we had all gone out from the old home (his home was at this time near the scene of the massacre) when I was back once, I said to him "tell me the old Indian story again." His eye lit up as in days gone by; it hung yet a clear picture on memorys gallery. I could detect a little failing, only like the least tinge on a leaf. In two months I came again and he hardly knew my voice.

He always began the story this way: "When daddy was a boy about ten years old his parents lived out near Nelson's Mill, and early one morning the Indians came upon them very suddenly in their home. Two men had come to make rails. "Hoot, Hoot" they heard and thought it was owls, and one said they would not make rails long, as the hooting of the owls was a sign of rain. But it was the cry of the Indians- in a few moments they were bursting in at the door."

As I have said several times, I had heard the story so often when a child, but I noted it all down with pencil as he told it, with a feeling of sadness - knowing I was likely hearing it for the last time. I said to him, " and what became of Mollie?" "Oh I don't know" he said, "you see that was so long ago, and we lived away from here." He did not know that his youngest daughter Sarah had married one of Mollie's descendants. Thus, there are scores of people who know they are descendants of "Indian Eve," but they don't know in which line they have come down - about two generations


are a blank to them. It is amusing to hear some people talk about it. An old man said "Ah you can s ee that ___ had Indian blood in him." I laughed, for he looked more like an Indian than the other man.

Daniel Earnest's father, Jacob, by all accounts, lived most of his life along the old turnpike, between Bedford and Everett, then Bloody Run. Daniel always spoke of him living in the old brick house near Mt.Dallas, dying there, when he was about 12 years old, in 1830. He had a blacksmith shop there.

Mr. Jacob Nevitt writes about him going to a lead vein in the river and getting lead. Daniel often spokeof this. The people tried to watch him, but he would go early in the morning and when he came back his clothes were wet from wading in the river. They said it was pure lead. Some folks gave him whiskey in his shop, thnking he would get drunk, and then tell where
it was. He understood them, and said, "I'll never tell you," and with him died the secret.

Jacob had taken up a piece of vacant land near William Hartleys. Several years after his death Daniel had a house built on it for his mother., where they lived when he caught the little bear. During the intervening years they lived near Abram Ritchey's woolen factory, now Valley Mill. He always loved to talk of his boyhood days at this old place. In a few
years, he got tired of their little home, as it was not enough for him. Often, when speaking of certain young people not caring or providing for their parents, he would say, "I kept my mother from the time I was 14 years old. "

After he was married the first time, he farmed for Hartleys, Nycums and Lutzs. He was only a year at


Nycums when Katy Hartly drove up to the "Foot" to see him, and get him to come and farm for her. He said "I knew where I was going and went."  Mr. John Lutz told me, he was farming for his father the year of the pumpkin flood -  1847. The water was so high they had to get out of their house at the woolen factory and go in with Earnests in the tenant house.

After his first wife's father, Thomas Wertz, died, he moved to Milligans Cove, and farmed for his mother-in-law. He bought the farm some time after this.

Daniel Earnest's biography would be incomplete without being associated with his mother's -Susannah Defibaugh Earnest, as they always lived together from the time he was born until she died, from 1818 to 1866. She was a wonderful woman. My earliest recolection of her, was putting her two little grand daughters in their trundle bed, tucking them in with their night caps on, and hearing them say their evening prayers, "Now I lay me." Their mother having died they were under her special care. She would want us to be very quiet when it thundered. I can see her yet, sitting so reverently, and we, all around her with hardly a whisper, during a thunder storm. "Hush!" she would say. By we, I mean her two grand daughters and my sister and I. We grew up as real sisters and have always been so. When my stepsisters burned themselves they always ran quick to "Grannie'! to blow over the burn and say Dutch words. I didn't have very much faith in it. I think I went to her once.

"Grannie," we called her, used to tell how, "when she was a girl, at her father's home -down along the river, the Indians used to come near them, and look at them, while they did their washing and scouring at the


river bank." I suppose they scoured pewter plates and milk lids, etc. I remember of a great large pewter plate and a smaller one in the old home. She told also, how "the children walked up to Bedford to church in the summer bare footed, and the town boys would spit on their feet." Those early days, the children, especially in the country, didn't have very fine shoes.

Mr. Simon Snider of New Enterprise says "I remember her quite well. She was the doctor in all Snake Spring Valley. When any body was sick they sent for 'Grannie Earnest.' " He relates several incidents of her life.

She could sew without glasses when she was about 97 or 98 years old. Her grand daughter, Mrs. Eliza Reis from Pittsburg, visited her and gave her a cambrichandkerchief to hem which she wanted as a relic, also, took a lock of her hair to get braided, which was not clear white yet.

Eliza Reis' sister, Mary Clarke visited her about 1861. She was a lovely girl - had lived at St. Louis with friends, where she had been burned so terribly by gas, that she was disfigured. Just before she left, we children went with her to Summer Ridge and gathered huckleberries which she took along. We broke off the bushes and carried to her and she picked them off. She was not strong enough to get around. She had her brother John along; she was taking him along to the West. They rode horse back to the Sulphur Springs. She had never been on a horse before. Some one led the horse at first till she got started.

" Grannie" sewed 'till she was almost 100 years old. She hemmed and felled with such short stitches - beautiful work. Every summer day she sat in the kitchen


door way with her work, mostly mending. She would not sew on Ascension day for any thing till she got a little bit childish, then she said "Dan and all the rest worked, and I will work too."

She got very childish the last year she lived, 1865 and 1866, dying in February 1866, 101 years old, as nearly as her son could tell. She did not know any of the family towards the last. We cared for her like a child.

She was the first person I saw die. I always had a childish curiosity to know how people died. Our parents with the younger children, started early one morning in a sled on a visit to my grandfather Arnold's, in Cumberland Valley, leaving their grist, as they called it then, at Wolfsburg Mill, till they returned. "Grannie" was asleep when they started. She never had been sick a day that we remembered. She did not get up as usual, and was drowsy. We saw there was something wrong and called in a neighbor that evening. The next morning dear old Mrs. Cook said, "children you are just scared about 'Grannie,' she will get better soon but we knew her too well. I fed her coffee soup, which she ate as usual; the death rattle was in her throat, but I didn't know it. I went to the kitchen then, as she seemed to be resting. In about an hour I heard her, ran in, calling the other children, who were near, but she breathed her last before they got in. I often think of that moment; I a child of fifteen years alone with that centenarian and the Angel of Death. Away over in Germany one hundred and one years before that, the Angel of birth had come to a home, and they christened a little girl Susannah Defibaugh.

She used to say to my mother, "I had twelve children


six boys and six girls. My boys all died before they grew up but Dan. He never saw any of his brothers.

Her daughter Betsy saw a great deal of trouble. She had married a German, named Stuby. They lived in Somerset Co. He got money every now and then from Germany. One day he went to the town of Somerset to get his money as usual, expecting to be home till evening. They waited on him for supper; she went out and called and called for him. He never returned. They always thought he had drawn his money and had been murdered. She came back with her children and lived awhile with her mother and Daniel. She married again, a man named Edenbaugh. They lived out from Bedford, I think in the old stone house near Bee Millers. He was working at a lime kiln; got his foot fast in some way, some one poured a bucket of water around his leg. He met a terrible death. Again she came home to her mother - with one child, Daniel Edenbaugh. After the Stuby children were grown they each got some money from Germany -I think over $2,000 in all. Daniel Earnest used to say "I always had a large family to keep."

Without a father's care or help, supporting his mother and others of the family from boyhood, thrown in company with rough wagoners - a whole bar-room full some times at the old taverns, where they slept on the floor around the big fire places and told stories or cracked their whips and drank and cursed and swore - with such an environment Daniel rose above it all - sober, honest, industrous, pure and upright; despising low and mean acts-one of God's noblemen - a Christian.


The only habit he formed that he regretted was chewing tobacco. He said "the men he worked with gave it to him to chew when a boy. He battled with this habit nearly all his life. At last he conquered it.

He was always a great peace maker in the communities in which he lived. I remember of an incident during the war, at his old home in Milligan's Cove. An old gentleman was visiting his brother, a near neighbor of ours. They differed in politics. The north was jubilant over the fall of Vicksburg and the conquest at Gettysburg on July 4th 1863. This was too much for the one brother. The other one started home in his buggy. It was nearly night and a great thunder storm coming up - the Mullin gap would have been midnight darkness. My step father went out and stopped him, talked with him and plead wih him not to part with his old brother in such a way. He did not go on. I do not remember if he went back to his brothers or stayed all night at our home. I think though, Daniel went back with him and they became reconciled.

Daniel Earnest lived to a gold age, dying in September 1901 at the age of 83 years. He and my mother are buried in the beautiful cemetery at Messiah church.


[Previous] [ToC] [Next]